Friday, July 25, 2008

The Name Game in Court

I don't think I could EVER do this to my child. I've just always liked fun but "normal" (read: boring) names for kids. I realize there are some that like to be more creative, but I wasn't one of them when it came to naming my three children. The first is named after his dad and grandfather, the second has his first name chosen by my husband and the second is my father's name, and the the third is my choice of first name and the second and third are after her grandmothers. Dull, boring, but for us, nice and thoughtful.

Here's why I bring this up. There was an item in the news today about a case out of New Zealand about a judge who placed a girl "under custodianship of the court" while a new name was chosen for her. Her legal ("given") name is, now sit down, and don't choke all of you "she must be named for a saint/family member" people, "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii."  Yeah, that's it.  That's her legal name. Hee hee hee. Can you imagine going around with a moniker like that? And she's 9. Can you imagine how the other girls would slay her if they knew? (They don't, though, 'cause she was so embarrassed that she told them to call her "K.").   And can you imagine what she thinks of her parents as a result of this?  She had to SUE to get a "normal" name.  That's bad.  Her therapy bills are gonna be B I G .

Although on the one hand I hope this is a hoax, on the other hand, it's been featured on the CBC (Canada), Reuters Africa, USA Today, the AP, and the BBC. If they've been taken in, then someone did a great job! Here's some story links:

http://africa.reuters.com/odd/news/usnSP5901.html
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/07/parents-lose-cu.html
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/07/24/talula-nz-name.html

and the best article on the whole thing:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10523288

So the next time you think oddly of someone because of what they chose to name their child, just think of poor 9-year-old Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii and the other children mentioned in the articles (one named "Violence" and another named "Number 16 Bus Shelter") and you'll realize that the people you know are nowhere NEAR so bad.

And don't think this hasn't happened here. Just think of Moon Unit and Dweezil Zappa, and Apple Martin (daughter of Gwyneth Paltrow). Ugh.

1 comment:

Laura Cousins said...

There are some classics at our local school. My favourites are (and these are all little girls - )

Shianne (like the Fist Nation tribe)
Storm
Blade (WTF?)

I can only imagine that families nowadays have no interest in maintaining themselves as families. My kids (and I apologise if I come across as sounding superior, but that is because I AM superior!!) are all named with family names. Like yours!

Hopefully this kid won't need too much therapy, provided she is still getting love and nurture as well as ridiculous names.