Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Glasses Received! Pretty Cool, Too!

I received the glasses from Zenni yesterday, two full weeks from the day I ordered them. Here’s the package they came in (a bubble envelope) as well as the entire contents:

It looks fairly minimal (the entire thing wasn’t much bigger than a standard postcard), but let me tell you, the packing did the job. When I opened the case, the glasses were wrapped in the lens-cleaning cloth as an extra piece of protection for the lenses and the frames, and I pulled the glasses out and they were just great. Not hard to open, not cheap in appearance, not light in weight. In general, they seemed similar to my usual, every-few-years $300 pair of specs. A bit flashier, though. More flashy than I would normally get, but for $34 and in addition to my regular pair, they’re fun, cool, and just right.

You’re probably wondering two things: A) are the frames as described, and B) are the prescription lenses correct. In short, yes. The frames are exactly as pictured on the site, and the lenses appear to be correct. I’ve been wearing them for a day now and they seem fine. Given my long history with glasses and adjustments, I was also worried that these frames wouldn’t fit well without major adjustments, but they’re actually pretty good. I usually have to bring my glasses in for some sort of small adjustment when I first get them, but after a minor twist, turn or nudge here and there, these seem just great. And this model doesn’t have separate nose pads, so there’s one more thing I don’t have to worry about adjusting (and possibly breaking off).

So now I’m considering this experience. Was it worth it to order prescription eyeglasses over the web, especially when I have 20-400 vision? Especially when I’m generally so particular about this stuff? Yes. I spent $34 for a bit of fun that I can wear in emergencies, or just when I feel like doing something a bit funky. They arrived within a reasonable amount of time, in great shape, and they fit. What more can one ask?

If you’re thinking about doing this, first check out http://www.glassyeyes.blogspot.com/ for some good reading on the subject, then check out the sites mentioned (the biggest are listed on the left of the current post). Me, I opted for Zenni only because they have a large and fun selection, but the other sites are probably great too. The author of that blog recently had a good experience with 39dollarglasses.com.

Hey, for $300 I want a good proper pair of glasses I expect to last two years at a minimum. And I expect to be able to walk into a shop and get them fixed when necessary. But for $34, I only asked for fun glasses with the correct prescription. And I got it. Successful experiment, no?

No comments: