Friday, March 7, 2008

Buying Glasses Online? Give It a Shot!

I've begun a grand experiment: I've ordered prescription eyeglasses online. Yup, I've broken through that transparent wall of hesitation that usually settles in when I see something new but scary. "Scary" in the sense that I've never done this before, but new things can - and usually are - exciting.

I’ve always thought that there's a certain satisfaction in putting on a pair of glasses and sticking your face two inches from a mirror to see what you look like. It brings on all sorts of thoughts, not least of which is "do these frames accurately reflect who I am, or who I want people to think I am?" And then of course I have to decide rather quickly WHO I think I am. Fun, but too much introspection needed…

So although it seems a contradiction because I can’t try them on, I looked at glassyeyes.blogspot.com, checked out the recommended sites, and chose Zenni.com (only ‘cause I like their selection better than those of the others). I read in several places that their customer service is so-so, but I’m hoping that I won’t have to find out.

The glasses I ordered are plastic frames and have single-vision prescription lenses (ok, we’re now at $19). I then added a bit of tint ($4.95) and non-glare coating (another $4.95). Those, combined with shipping, added up a grand total of $33.85 (!!!). I’m still waiting for them, having placed my order on Feb. 25, but for that price, I can wait a bit. I can’t remember the last time I left an eyeglass place having spent less than $300, so for 1/10th of that price, I can wait. But not too long....

I’ll update when they arrive. Wish me luck!

No comments: