Friday, April 25, 2008

My Memories Interrupted

When I was in college, and for a bit after, I was really into music, mostly British stuff and less commercial American stuff. I liked people like Depeche Mode (first two albums only, thank you), Clash, Squeeze, Strawberry Switchblade (!), and Heaven 17. After a while I also learned to appreciate bands like Ramones, PIL (and their precursor), and a few other more seminal groups like The New York Dolls.

I bring this up 'cause I saw a video today that really cracked me up. I sometimes find it hard to believe that every member of the "Ramones," save for one, are gone (they all died within 8 years of their official breakup). Some of their music is not for me, but I love a few of the classics, like "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" and "Rockaway Beach." Speaking of which, the latter is currently the ringtone on my cell phone.

Back to the video: it's of two guys doing their own version of a Ramones song, and it's scary and funny all at once. In my book, you can't possibly keep a straight face when presented with a punk song (or almost any song) played on a ukelele (or two):



Of course, for those of you purists, or those who can't remember the original, here's a video of the Ramones doing the same song ("Blitzkrieg Bop"):



Some of that good stuff never goes out, does it?

No comments: