Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Woo Hoo! It's Shirley Temple's 80th Birthday!!


I'm the youngest of 7 children (5 girls, 2 boys). Growing up with a lot of older siblings gave me exposure to a bunch of things I wouldn't normally have seen with my peers, and for me, I most remember the pleasure of watching Shirley Temple movies on tv. I remember watching The Little Princess and Heidi a bunch of times and being amazed at all this little girl could do (yeah, even now, in this jaded cynical time, I still look at her in awe).

In celebration of Shirley Temple's 80th birthday, I couldn't decide which of my two favorite songs to post, so I'm putting them both up. The first is "Animal Crackers in My Soup" from Curly Top:



The second is "At the Codfish Ball" from Captain January. This is especially fun 'cause you get to see her dancing with - get ready - Buddy Ebsen, who at this point in his career was only known as a dancer (and singer too, maybe). Oh, and for those of you who only know him from "The Beverly Hillbillies," get ready to see him with black hair! Check it out:



So when you're looking at your children today, and you're thinking about them and their futures, remember when the beautiful woman above was once the beautiful singing and dancing girl seen here. Wow, Shirley!! You go girl!!

No comments: